Study program / study programs: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Type and level of studies: UNDERGRADUATE APPLIED STUDIES
Subject: FUNDAMENTALS OF MANAGEMENT
ECTS credits: 6
The objective of the Fundamentals of Management course is to ensure that the students acquire and adopt the fundamental knowledge of the theory and practice of management and learn about the ways and possibilities of applying this knowledge in practice.
The students will learn about the relationship between a contemporary business system and its environment and the current tendencies in said environment, what changes dominate the contemporary landscape, how to manage changes in modern management and what characterizes today’s human resource management process. The students will learn about the elements included in the organizational culture, the causes and consequences of conflicts in contemporary management, the implementation of modern technology in contemporary management, the concepts of management development, benchmarking, organization as a phase of management, leading as a phase of management, leadership and the difference between a leader and a manager, the factors that determine a manager’s profile, manager’s duties, the elements that define the manager’s authority and responsibility,managerial styles, the characteristics of a successful manager and the most frequent mistakes made by managers.
- Introduction to management (different views on management, its objectives, its essence, its definition, its tasks and importance)
- Roots and development of management (conditions, earlier contributions to the development of management, its development in the 19th century, its development in the 20th century, the emergence of different approaches, the trends and tendencies of further development of management)
- Contemporary management (environment, change management, human resource management, organizational culture, communications in contemporary management, conflict management, managers’ social responsibility, information systems and information technologies in modern management, strategic management, operations management, interdisciplinarity, benchmarking, new concepts in the development of management)
- The process of management (planning, organizing, leadership, control)
- The profile and the tasks of a manager (factors that determine the profile: personality traits, education, ethical values, manager’s tasks, managers’ working styles, authority and responsibility, the manager’s career, now challenges for managers, future profile)